What are the tests? was: RE: [Non-DoD Source] Re: MongoDB Server Side Public License, Version 1 (SSPL v1)
Karan, Cem F CIV USARMY RDECOM ARL (US)
2018-10-17 12:32:44 UTC
Date: Tue Oct 16 13:03:02 UTC 2018
Subject: [License-review] Approval: Server Side Public License,
Version 1 (SSPL v1)
“If you make the functionality of the Program or a modified version
available to third parties as a service, you must make the Service
Source Code available via network download to everyone at no charge,
under the terms of this License. Making the functionality of the
Program or modified version available to third parties as a service
includes, without limitation, enabling third parties to interact with
the functionality of the Program or modified version remotely through
a computer network, offering a service the value of which entirely or
primarily derives from the value of the Program or modified version,
or offering a service that accomplishes for users the primary purpose
of the Software or modified version.
I feel this part fails against the dissident test but I could be wrong.
I think you are right, but the test <Caution-https://wiki.debian.org/DissidentTest>
is not formally part of the Debian Free Software Guidelines.
- formal success to DFSG is not enough (else we would have to change
them more often, which would create detrimental instability),
- if one of the 3 tests fails, we leave with an unfavorable opinion to
start the discussion here.
In this case, I feel that upstream team wants to limit freedom of their
software while remaining just at the limit of the rules.
So for now, my feeling> is that it's not in the spirit of DFSG, while
respecting the words.
Forgive me for sidetracking this conversation, but what are the 3 tests? I
found the Desert Island Test, but not the third one.

Thanks,
Cem Karan
Paul R. Tagliamonte
2018-10-17 12:51:20 UTC
https://people.debian.org/~bap/dfsg-faq.html

Beware these are proxy cases for dfsg criteria and not criteria themselves.

Paul

On Wed, Oct 17, 2018, 8:48 AM Karan, Cem F CIV USARMY RDECOM ARL (US) <