New license review
Ben Finney
2018-05-11 20:50:48 UTC
May I ask a review about this license (http://lillicense.org/v1.html,
verbatim below)
Which work is being proposed for Debian, that is received with that
license?

The purpose of this forum isn't to review license texts in isolation, in
part because we are not generally qualified to give legal advice.
Rather, the purpose is to discuss the legal issues of distributing works
in Debian.
--
\ “If you always want the latest and greatest, then you have to |
`\ buy a new iPod at least once a year.” —Steve Jobs, MSNBC |
Ben Finney
Ian Jackson
2018-05-14 12:24:33 UTC
May I ask a review about this license (http://lillicense.org/v1.html,
verbatim below)
Any modification to the software submitted to the authors may be
incorporated into the software under the terms of this license.
I think this is untroublesome. It is saying that _if_ modifications
are submitted to the upstream (impliedly, by the authors of the
modifications), the upstreams are granted permission to redistribute.

There is no obligation on a patch author to submit, so the licence
condition is no problem.

It looks like an attempt to deal with the "patches submitted with no
signed-off-by" problem.

I assume you are looking at some actual software you think is released
under this licence. There may be other problems with that specific
software, of course, so the answer I am giving is necesssarily
abstract.

Ian.
Ian Jackson
2018-05-14 16:03:09 UTC
On Mon, May 14, 2018 at 2:24 PM, Ian Jackson
Post by Ian Jackson
I assume you are looking at some actual software you think is released
under this licence. There may be other problems with that specific
software, of course, so the answer I am giving is necesssarily
abstract.
Yes packaging node-docco https://github.com/jashkenas/docco/
I haven't done a full review but it seems OK to me. You ought to
search the source tree for anything that looks like it came from
elsewhere.

Ian.
--
Ian Jackson <***@chiark.greenend.org.uk> These opinions are my own.