Can we serve GFDL documentation (e.g. gcc-7-doc) on manpages.d.o?
Michael Stapelberg
2017-11-29 08:58:04 UTC
Hey,

I was operating under the assumption that we can only serve packages from
main and contrib, but I was wondering what your thoughts are:

Could we serve manpages from non-free packages? I’m curious both in general
and specifically about GFDL-licensed manpages such as the ones from
gcc-7-doc.

Thanks in advance,
--
Best regards,
Michael
Ian Jackson
2017-11-29 18:01:11 UTC
Post by Michael Stapelberg
I was operating under the assumption that we can only serve packages
Could we serve manpages from non-free packages? I m curious both in
general and specifically about GFDL-licensed manpages such as the
ones from gcc-7-doc.
Things in non-free all have their individual licences. Some of them
might prohibit what manpages.d.o does. Others don't.

I haven't looked at gcc-7-doc, but a GFDL-licenced manpage would be
legally serveable if there is no front cover text and no back cover
text and no invariant sections. But such a manpage would be
DFSG-free, so ought to be in main, surely ?

There is also the question as to whether we want to mix
nonfree-but-maybe-redistributable-like-this documentation with
properly Free documentation.

Maybe if there *are* things we can present this way, we should present
them on manpages.nonfree.org ?

Ian.
--
Ian Jackson <***@chiark.greenend.org.uk> These opinions are my own.

Ian Jackson
2017-11-29 18:11:23 UTC
Post by Ian Jackson
I haven't looked at gcc-7-doc, but a GFDL-licenced manpage would be
legally serveable if there is no front cover text and no back cover
text and no invariant sections. But such a manpage would be
DFSG-free, so ought to be in main, surely ?
To expand on this:

A cover text is IMO no good because

If you publish printed copies (or copies in media that commonly have
printed covers) of the Document

I think arguably the HTML for a long manpage on a manpage website is
"media that commonly have printed covers". It definitely would be if
manpages.d.o provided pdf outputs (which it might do in the future).

And that means that the front cover text must be included. But it is
not. I looked at the GCC manpage and it does have a front cover text,
"A GNU Manual", but it does not start with that text.

Of course maybe you disagree about "media that commonly have printed
covers" in which case maybe you'd have to just limit any future pdf
feature to properly-free manpages.

Also, in general, there is no way to easily tell what the reason is
for something being in non-free. You'd have to invent some kind of
coding or whitelist system.

IMO this is a swamp.

Ian.
--